Prayer Guide: Psalm 16
1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.
5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- He preserves/keeps us safe – vs. 1
- He is our refuge – v. 1
- He is our Lord/ruler – v. 2
- He is the source of goodness – v. 2
- He makes us his people/saints – v. 3
- He is our chosen portion/provision – v. 5
- He is our cup/destiny – v. 5
- He holds our lot/guarantees our future – v. 5
- He promises and provides our inheritance – v. 6
- He counsels/instructs – v. 7
- He is always before us/ever present – v. 8
- He is at our right hand/always near – v. 8
- He is our stability/security – vs. 8 & 9
- He is our source of joy – v. 9 & 11
- He is our eternal promise of life/resurrection – v. 10
- He is the pathway and provision of life – v. 11
- He is the source of all pleasure – v. 11
Possible Prayer Prompters:
- I praise You that You were my ______________ (choose an attribute from above) when ____________ (a specific time when this revelation of his character was very real).
- I praise You that you recently revealed to me that You are _________ (an attribute from above)
- I praise You that because You are _____________ (attribute from above) I am able to ______________.
- Because You preserve me and keep me safe, I surrender my fears about ______________.
- Because You are my Lord and ruler, I confess my disobedience and rebellion about ____________.
- I confess that I did not listen to Your counsel/instruction this week when ____________________.
- I confess that I settled for less than Your will/pleasure when _______________.
- I trust You to be my _____________ (a specific provision based on the attributes above) as I ___________ (a specific circumstance you are facing)
- I pray that You will show ______________ (name) that You are their _____________ (an attribute from the list above) as they ______________ (a situation they face).
- Help us as a church to trust You to ______________ (a specific provision based on the attributes above) as we _____________ (a specific challenge).
- Because You are _______________ (as specific attribute from the list) we trust you to help us live in victory over ______________ (a specific temptation or trial you face).