Prayer Guide: Psalm 17
1 Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit! 2 From your presence let my vindication come! Let your eyes behold the right!
3 You have tried my heart, you have visited me by night, you have tested me, and you will find nothing; I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress. 4 With regard to the works of man, by the word of your lips I have avoided the ways of the violent. 5 My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.
6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me; hear my words. 7 Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand.
8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings, 9 from the wicked who do me violence, my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly. 11 They have now surrounded our steps; they set their eyes to cast us to the ground. 12 He is like a lion eager to tear, as a young lion lurking in ambush.
13 Arise, O Lord! Confront him, subdue him! Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword, 14 from men by your hand, O Lord, from men of the world whose portion is in this life. You fill their womb with treasure; they are satisfied with children, and they leave their abundance to their infants.
15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- He hears – v. 1
- He vindicates – v. 2
- He sees – v. 2
- He tries and tests us – v. 3
- His word strengthens and guides us – vv. 4 – 5
- He answers our prayers – v. 6
- He is a God of steadfast love – v. 7
- He is a refuge from our adversaries – v. 7
- He protects and hides us from the wicked– vv. 7-8
- He confronts our enemies – v. 13
- He delivers us – v. 13
- He draws us to seek His face – v. 15
- He is righteous – v. 15
- His presence satisfies – v. 15
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- Thank You, Father, that You heard my prayer when . . .
- Thank you that your word strengthened and guided me when . . .
- Thank you Lord for answering my prayers about . . .
- I praise You that Your love is steadfast even when I . . .
- I praise you that You have delivered me from . . .
- Thank you that Your presence satisfies my need for . . .
- Lord, as You try and test my heart, I know You find _______________ — and I surrender that to You.
- I confess that I often transgress with my mouth when ______________. I pray that Your Spirit would grant me self-control.
- I confess that my steps do not hold fast to Your path when ___________________. Give me grace and do not let me slip.
- Lord, show Your steadfast love to me as I seek refuge from…
- Lord, assure me that I am the apple of Your eye in the midst of…
- Hide me in the shadow of Your wings as I deal with…
- Lord, I pray that You will show Your steadfast love to _____________ (name) as they seek refuge in You.
- I pray for ___________________ (name) as he/she trusts in Your strong right hand in the midst of….
- Arise, O Lord, and confront the enemies of Your people as You…
- I trust You to deliver me from the wickedness of the world when I…
- Thank You that You are greater than the ambush of the enemy when he tempts me to…