Prayer Guide: Psalm 20
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
1May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
and give you support from Zion!
3 May he remember all your offerings
and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices! Selah
4 May he grant you your heart’s desire
and fulfill all your plans!
5 May we shout for joy over your salvation,
and in the name of our God set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!
6 Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed;
he will answer him from his holy heaven
with the saving might of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
8 They collapse and fall,
but we rise and stand upright.
9 O Lord, save the king!
May he answer us when we call.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- Answers us in our troubles – vv. 1,6 & 9
- Protects us by His name – v. 1
- Sends help and support from heaven – v. 2
- Remembers and regards our sacrifices – v. 3
- Grants our hearts desires and fulfills our plans – v. 4
- Grants joyful salvation – v. 5
- Grants victory in his name – v. 5
- Saves by his might – vv. 6 & 9
- His name is trustworthy – v. 7
- Gives us power to stand – v. 8
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I praise You Lord that You answered me in trouble when…
- I praise You for the joy I feel because You saved me from…
- I praise You that because Your name is _______________, I have victory over _________.
- I praise You that because Your name is ____________, I can trust You for _____________.
- Thank You that You give us power to stand, even when we encounter ________________.
- I surrender my heart’s desire for _____________, asking You to conform it to Your will.
- I submit my plans for _____________, asking that You would direct my steps to honor You.
- I confess that too often, rather than trusting in Your name, I have put my trust in…
- Lord, because Your name is ___________, I trust You to protect me from…
- Today, I call on Your name to help me as I…
- I pray that we will know the shout of joy when You save _____________ (name) from…
- Lord, I pray that the saving might of Your right hand will…
- Because Your name is _____________, I trust You for…
- Lord, I pray that You would give divine support to ___________ (name) as they…
- We call on You to save our spiritual leaders from…
- Thank You that Your name is our banner of victory over that enemy of …
- Antiphonal response: “We shout for joy in Your salvation!”
- Lord, we trust You to save us from…
- Antiphonal group response: “With the saving might of Your right hand!”