Prayer Guide: Psalm 30
A Psalm of David. A song at the dedication of the temple.
I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up
and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
3 O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.
4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints,
and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity,
“I shall never be moved.”
7 By your favor, O Lord,
you made my mountain stand strong;
you hid your face;
I was dismayed.
8 To you, O Lord, I cry,
and to the Lord I plead for mercy:
9 “What profit is there in my death,
if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it tell of your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me!
O Lord, be my helper!”
11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
you have loosed my sackcloth
and clothed me with gladness,
12 that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- Draws/lifts us up- v. 1
- Delivers us from our foes – v. 1
- Hears our cry – vv. 1, 8, 10
- Heals us – v. 2
- Delivers- v. 3
- Restores us to life – v. 3
- Worthy of praise – vv. 4, 12
- Worthy of thanks – vv. 4, 12
- Holy – v. 4
- Angry toward sin – v. 5
- Enduring favor/grace – v. 5
- Giver of Joy after tears – v. 5
- Imparts strength/stability- v. 7
- Merciful – v. 8, 10
- Faithful – v. 9
- Helper – v. 10
- Imparts gladness – v. 11
- Eternal – v.12
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I praise You Lord that You have drawn me up from…
- Thank You for hearing my cry when…
- I praise You for healing me of…
- You name is holy because You are…
- Thank You that You made me strong when…
- Thank You for Your faithfulness to me, even when…
- Thank You for restoring gladness to my life, especially after…
- I confess that my heart is broken over _________________ and I trust You to restore my joy.
- Father, I confess that in my prosperity, I wrongly believe __________________. Help me trust in Your favor alone.
- I have sometimes been dismayed and felt distant because I have ___________. Thank You for hearing my plea for mercy.
- I confess that I need Your mercy and help right now because…
- Lord, be my helper as I deal with…
- I pray that You will help ___________ (name) as they…
- I pray for Your healing grace in the life of ____________ (name) as they…
- Lord, even though I am weeping over _________________, give me Your surpassing joy.
- Lord, by Your favor make me strong as I deal with…
- Lord, I pray that by Your favor, You will give strength to _______________ (name) in the midst of…
- I pray that You will give Your gladness to _____________ (name) and sustain them as they…
- Do not let the enemy of _________________ have victory over us.
- Antiphonal response: “Draw us up by Your power.”
- We cry to You to deliver us from …
- Antiphonal response: “We will tell of Your faithfulness!”
- Even when we encounter ________________, we trust You for fill us with joy.
- Antiphonal response:
- Men: “We will sing Your praise and not be silent!”
- Women: “And give thanks to You forever!”
- Antiphonal response: