Prayer Guide: Psalm 39
Psalm 39 (ESV)
To the choirmaster: to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
I said, “I will guard my ways,
that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth with a muzzle,
so long as the wicked are in my presence.”
2 I was mute and silent;
I held my peace to no avail,
and my distress grew worse.
3 My heart became hot within me.
As I mused, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue:
4 “O Lord, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
5 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah
6 Surely a man goes about as a shadow!
Surely for nothing[a] they are in turmoil;
man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!
7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in you.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions.
Do not make me the scorn of the fool!
9 I am mute; I do not open my mouth,
for it is you who have done it.
10 Remove your stroke from me;
I am spent by the hostility of your hand.
11 When you discipline a man
with rebukes for sin,
you consume like a moth what is dear to him;
surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah
12 “Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry;
hold not your peace at my tears!
For I am a sojourner with you,
a guest, like all my fathers.
13 Look away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart and am no more!”
ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- causes us anguish to draw us to him – v. 2
- works within us until we come before him – v. 3
- knows the number of our days – vv. 4 & 5
- is eternal – v. 4
- our hope is in him – v. 7
- saves us from our transgressions – v. 8
- saves us from those who mock us – v. 8
- rebukes us for our sin – v. 11
- disciplines us for our sin – v. 11
- hears our prayer – v. 12
- hears our cry – v. 12
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I praise you that you are eternal because…
- I praise you that you have saved me from…
- I praise you that you rebuked me when…
- I praise you for your discipline in my life when…
- Thank you for drawing me back to you …
- I confess that I am silent before you about…
- Help me to remember your eternal perspective about …
- God, I confess _______ to you…
- Help me to have an eternal perspective in my numbered days…
- Save me from my transgressions of…
- God, convict me of my sin of…
- God, gently discipline me so that I …
- God, hear my cry for help about…
- God, I know I will rejoice in you again in…
- Lord, help me to look to you for hope in…
- Lord, help me to repent and turn to you today when…