Prayer Guide: Psalm 13
Psalm 13 (ESV)
1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
God’s praiseworthy attributes found in this text:
- He listens to our questions and groanings – vv. 1-2
- Even when we doubt, he does not:
- Forget us – v. 1a
- Hide his face from us – v. 1b
- Leave us to our own counsels – v. 2a
- Leave us in our sorrow – v. 2b
- Allow our enemies to triumph over us – v. 2c
- He considers and answers us – v. 3a
- He enlightens and enlivens us – v. 3b
- He fights for us – v. 4
- He is a God of steadfast love – v. 5a
- His salvation brings joy – v. 5b
- He is worthy of our song – v. 6a
- He is bountiful/good to us – v. 6b
Possible prayer prompts:
- Thank you Lord that you have considered and answered me when I had questions about . . .
- Thank you that I can trust in your steadfast love, even when . . .
- I rejoice because you have saved me from . . .
- I sing to you because you showed me your goodness when . . .
- Lord, I confess that my heart asks “How Long?” when I think about ____________________. Give me a deeper trust in you.
- Lord, today I need your light and your life as I deal with . . .
- Help me trust in your steadfast love as I struggle with . . .
- Give me your joy today even though . . .
- Show your goodness to me today as I . . .
- I pray for ____________________ (name) as they struggle with their questions. Reveal yourself to them.
- Give your light and life to ________________________ (name) as they deal with . . .
- Show your steadfast love to ____________________________ (name) in the midst of . . .
- I pray that __________________________ (name) will know the joy of your salvation as I seek to share the gospel with them.
- God will consider and answer us when the enemy seeks to __________________________.
- Antiphonal response: “We will not be shaken!”