Prayer Guide: Psalm 32
A Maskil of David.
Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
3 For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah
5 I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters,
they shall not reach him.
7 You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with shouts of deliverance. Selah
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
9 Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
which must be curbed with bit and bridle,
or it will not stay near you.
10 Many are the sorrows of the wicked,
but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord.
11 Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous,
and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- Blesses our lives (v. 1,2)
- Forgives our transgressions (v. 1,5)
- Covers our sins (v. 1)
- Discounts our iniquity (v.2)
- Confronts and removes our deceit (v. 2)
- Chastises us in our unconfessed sin (vv.3-4)
- Hears our confession of sin (v.5)
- Hears our prayers (v. 6)
- Protects and preserves our lives (v. 6,7)
- A hiding place (v. 7)
- Our deliverer (v. 7)
- Puts a shout of victory in our hearts (v. 7)
- Instructs and teaches us (v. 8)
- Gives personal counsel (v. 8)
- Judges the wicked (v.10)
- Surrounds us with steadfast love (v. 10)
- Trustworthy (v. 10)
- Fills us with gladness and joy (v.11)
- Our righteousness (v. 11)
- Transforms our hearts in uprightness (v. 11)
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- Lord, I thank You that I am blessed because You have…
- I praise You that You have so graciously forgiven me for…
- I praise You that You faithfully heard my prayers when the waters of _____________ were threatening my life.
- Thank You that You were my hiding place when…
- I shout for joy to You because You have delivered me from…
- Thank You that You instructed my heart and showed me Your way when…
- Thank You that Your love has always been steadfast, even when…
- Thank You that I can be glad and rejoice because You…
- I confess that sometime my heart can be deceived by…
- I admit my battle with the sin of __________ often leaves me weak and defeated. Give me grace to confess my sin and experience the joy of Your forgiveness.
- Lord, I confess that I am often stubborn and lack understanding, especially in tendency toward…
- I confess that the temptation of ____________ often causes me to wander from Your will.
- I pray that ____________ (name) will turn to You and experience the joy of Your forgiveness.
- Give me opportunities to share the gospel of grace and forgiveness with ____________ (name)
- Help me to trust You to be my hiding place right now as I am facing…
- I pray that you will preserve _____________ (name) in the midst of their trouble, especially…
- Lord, I trust You to instruct and teach me as I wrestle with the issue of…
- Lord, because Your eye is on me, I thank You that I can trust Your counsel about…
- Lord, give Your clear counsel to our church leaders as they are seeking You for…
- Lord, we trust You to be our hiding place, especially when…
- Antiphonal shout: “We praise You for Your deliverance”
- Let us never forget that wickedness brings sorrow, especially when people…
- Antiphonal response: “Your steadfast love surrounds us!”
- We will be glad and rejoice in You, even when…
- Antiphonal response: Give us righteous and upright hearts!