Are You Satisfied In Our Solitary Lord?
King David lived in a pluralistic society (as do we). All around him were gods of every description. People gave great time, energy, and riches to seek those gods, but the return was merely emptiness.
But since his childhood David had known and sought the one, true God. He had banked his hopes on the reality of Jehovah and had never been disappointed.
“I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; I have no good besides You.’ …the sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied; I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips.” (Psalm 16:2,4)
But notice what he received because of this choice to give himself wholly to the one, true God. God provided…
- REFUGE: “preserve me, O Lord, because I take refuge in You (vs. 1)
- INHERITANCE: “The Lord is the portion of my cup and my inheritance (vs. 5)
- SUPPORT: “You support my lot” (vs. 5)
- COUNSEL: “I will bless the Lord who has counseled me, indeed my mind instructs me in the night.” (vs. 7)
- SECURITY: “Because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken…my flesh also will dwell securely.” (vs. 8,9)
- GLADNESS: “Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices.” (vs. 9)
- ETERNAL LIFE: “For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol; you will not allow your Holy One to undergo decay.” (vs. 10)
- DIRECTION: “You will make known to me the path of life.” (vs. 11)
- FULLNESS OF JOY: In Your presence is fullness of joy” (vs. 11)
- EVERLASTING PLEASURE: “In Your right hand are pleasures forever.” (vs. 11)
There was (and is) a condition for these blessings. David made the conscious choice to make God his LORD, i.e., his MASTER. He had deliberately forsaken every other god and idol in his life in deep pursuit of God alone.
The more we bend to his gracious Lordship the more we know of the rightness of this choice and His abundant blessings. This should not be the sole motivation for our surrender, but it is certainly the reward.
©2015 Bill Elliff. Originally posted on Bill’s blog, Graceful Truth.