Give Him No Rest
On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen;
All day and all night they will never keep silent.
You who remind the Lord, take no rest for yourselves;
And give Him no rest until He establishes
And makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.
These verses are great encouragement for all of us who grow weary in prayer.
Have you ever prayed for something for years, even decades, with no apparent answer? It’s easy to conclude that your prayers are falling on deaf ears. You are still burdened, still convicted and still motivated to pray, but Heaven seems silent.
You think things like:
- If God was going to answer this he would have by now.
- Surely God is sick of hearing me talk about this.
- Maybe I’m a nuisance and God runs when he sees me coming.
- This is futile. I need to stop praying about this.
These great words from Isaiah tell us otherwise:
- God calls us to pray.
- We are his watchmen!
- We should never fall silent
- We are to remind the Lord of what he promised
- We are to give ourselves no rest from prayer
- We are to give the Lord no rest from our asking
- We are to ask until fulfills his promises
Are you praying for something? Are you growing weary? Don’t stop! You’re not nagging God and you’re not a nuisance. You’re a holy watchman and you’re doing the very thing God called you to do.