This prayer guide, inspired by the chapter titled Motives in Strategic Renewal’s resource 21 Days of Prayer for Your Church Leader, is focused on seeking God’s face through the following passage.
2 Timothy 2:14-22
14 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, 17 and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. 19 But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”
20 Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. 21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
22 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers
Motives Prayer Guide
Identify and celebrate God’s praiseworthy attributes
- Jesus is the perfect minister, rightly handling the word of truth (v. 15)
- God seals and knows His people (v. 19)
- He is the master of the house (v. 21)
- The Giver of righteousness, faith, love, and peace (v. 22)
- Lord I praise You for how the word of truth was ministered to me when…
- God, I thank You that because I belong to You…
- Lord, we call upon You because You are…
Surrender to Him and His ways
- Lord, even though I belong to You, I repent of not departingfrom iniquity when …
- God I confess that I have quarreled about…please forgive meand keep me from swerving from the truth.
- I acknowledge my impure motives concerning…please cleanseme and make me a holy vessel for Your use.
Ask the Spirit to guide prayer over concerns, resources, and relationships
- God, I pray that…(church leader) would present themselves to You and rightly handle the word of truth so that…
- Lord, assure…(church leader) of Your seal upon their lives and help them depart from…
- God, as the master of the house, make…(church leader) a vessel for honorable use so that they are ready for the good work of…
Encouragement and strength for spiritual battle
- Help…(church leader) today to flee…so that they may pursue…with a pure heart.
- May we call upon You today with a pure heart, especially when we encounter…