Prayer Guide: Matthew 2
“WORSHIPPING WITH THE MAGI”
Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men[a] from the east came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose[b] and have come to worship him.” 3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; 4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet:
6 “‘And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” 9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. 11 And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12 And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- His word prophesied of the coming of the King of the Jews – v. 2
- He providentially guides those who seek Him – vv. 2 & 9
- His word prophesied the details of the birth of Messiah – v. 6
- Jesus Christ is the ruler and shepherd of his people – v. 6
- He gives joy to those who seek Him – v.10
- Jesus Christ is worthy of our abandoned worship – v. 10
- Jesus Christ is worthy of gifts consistent with his character and work – v. 11
Possible Prayer Prompts
- I praise You that You have fulfilled Your word in Christ by . . .
- I praise You that You led me to Christ by…
- I praise You Lord Jesus that You are the ruler over…
- I praise You Lord Jesus that You were my shepherd when…
- Lord, I confess that ________________ often undermines Your purposes in my life. (Reflecting on the attempt by Herod to subvert the Lord’s purpose and the Magi’s intention of worship).
- Lord, I confess that __________________ often interferes with my “exceeding great joy” in my pursuit of You.
- Help me to trust that You are ruling over…
- I pray that You will shepherd _________________ (name) as they _______________ (circumstance)
- Help me to worship You with abandon, and not allow ________________ to hinder my worship. (Thinking of the wise man falling on their faces before the child Jesus).
- Just as the wise men brought You gifts, worthy of Your character, help me to give You ___________ during this Christmas season of worship.
As the enemy seeks to undermine Your purposes in my life, help me remember Your biblical warning of ______________________. (Thinking of v. 11 and the Lord warning the wise men in a dream of the treachery of Herod)