Prayer Guide: Psalm 10
Psalm 10 (ESV)
Why, O Lord, do you stand far away?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?
2 In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor;
let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised.
3 For the wicked boasts of the desires of his soul,
and the one greedy for gain curses[a] and renounces the Lord.
4 In the pride of his face[b] the wicked does not seek him;[c]
all his thoughts are, “There is no God.”
5 His ways prosper at all times;
your judgments are on high, out of his sight;
as for all his foes, he puffs at them.
6 He says in his heart, “I shall not be moved;
throughout all generations I shall not meet adversity.”
7 His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression;
under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.
8 He sits in ambush in the villages;
in hiding places he murders the innocent.
His eyes stealthily watch for the helpless;
9 he lurks in ambush like a lion in his thicket;
he lurks that he may seize the poor;
he seizes the poor when he draws him into his net.
10 The helpless are crushed, sink down,
and fall by his might.
11 He says in his heart, “God has forgotten,
he has hidden his face, he will never see it.”
12 Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up your hand;
forget not the afflicted.
13 Why does the wicked renounce God
and say in his heart, “You will not call to account”?
14 But you do see, for you note mischief and vexation,
that you may take it into your hands;
to you the helpless commits himself;
you have been the helper of the fatherless.
15 Break the arm of the wicked and evildoer;
call his wickedness to account till you find none.
16 The Lord is king forever and ever;
the nations perish from his land.
17 O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted;
you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear
18 to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- Receives and responds to our questions and perplexities – vv. 1-11,13
- A God of judgement – v. 5, 12,14-16,18
- Remembers /hears our afflictions – v. 12, 17
- All seeing (omniscient) – v. 14
- Cares for the helpless – v. 14
- Helper of the fatherless – v. 14
- King – v. 16
- Eternal – v. 16
- Strengthens our hearts – v. 17
- Inclines His ear – v. 17
- Brings justice for his people – v. 18
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I praise You Lord that when I questioned _______________, You listened and responded
- I praise You Lord that I can trust You to judge the evil of this world, especially…
- I thank You for the assurance I have in knowing that You see…
- I praise You that You were my helper when…
- I praise You that You gave divine help to _______________ (name) when…
- I praise You that You are King over…
- Lord, today I am asking “why” as I ponder _______________. I surrender my questions to You and will trust You to…
- Even though I am in turmoil over __________________, I submit my heart to You and will trust You to do justice
- Lord, I ask You to “arise” on behalf of ___________________ (name) and assure them of Your care and presence.
- Lord, today I am feeling helpless over ______________, and commit myself anew to You.
- Lord, today, I pray that You will be a helper to the fatherless. I pray especially for ________________ (name).
- Lord, today, I need You to strengthen my heart, specifically in the area of…
- Lord, I ask that you will strengthen __________________ (name’s) heart, as they deal with…
- Lord, please strengthen the hearts of our church leaders by giving them…
- Lord, thank You that You are inclining Your ear today as I am trusting You for…
- Lord, even when we are helpless, we know you will confront the wickedness of…
- Today, we will trust You to judge ___________ (areas of wickedness) in the nations of the world.
- Antiphonal response: You are king forever and ever