Prayer Guide: Psalm 12
Psalm 12 (ESV)
To the choirmaster: according to The Sheminith.[a] A Psalm of David.
Save, O Lord, for the godly one is gone;
for the faithful have vanished from among the children of man.
2 Everyone utters lies to his neighbor;
with flattering lips and a double heart they speak.
3 May the Lord cut off all flattering lips,
the tongue that makes great boasts,
4 those who say, “With our tongue we will prevail,
our lips are with us; who is master over us?”
5 “Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan,
I will now arise,” says the Lord;
“I will place him in the safety for which he longs.”
6 The words of the Lord are pure words,
like silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
purified seven times.
7 You, O Lord, will keep them;
you will guard us[b] from this generation forever.
8 On every side the wicked prowl,
as vileness is exalted among the children of man.
God’s praiseworthy attributes found in this text:
- He saves – vs. 1
- The cuts off the proud (“flattering lips”) – vv. 3-4
- He provides safety for the poor and needy – v. 5
- His words are pure – v. 6
- He protects his people from a godless generation – v. 7
Possible prayer prompts:
- I praise You that You have saved me from . . .
- I praise You that You can save us even when . . .
- I praise You that You are able to cut off those who . . .
- I praise You that You provided safety for me when . . .
- Because Your words are pure, they are able to . . .
- I praise You that You can protect us from . . .
- In a world of godlessness, make me a godly example in my relationship with . . .
- Because faithfulness has vanished, give me grace to be faithful when . . .
- Because this world is filled with lies, I surrender to Your pure word today and trusting that it will produce ________________ in me.
- In the midst of a godless, faithless and dishonest generation, save me from . . .
- Lord, I am trusting You to keep me safe in the midst of . . .
- I pray for (name) that You will keep them safe in the midst of . . .
- I ask that Your pure word will work in me today so that I will . . .
- I pray that (Name) will embrace Your pure words as they face . . .
- I pray that You will guard our children from ___________________ in the midst of a godless generation.
- In this day, when wickedness and vileness is pervasive, we trust that You will guard us from . . .
- Antiphonal response: “Keep us and guard us!” or “Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.”