Prayer Guide: Psalm 14
Psalm 14 (ESV)
1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man,
to see if there are any who understand,
who seek after God.
3 They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good,
not even one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers
who eat up my people as they eat bread
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 There they are in great terror,
for God is with the generation of the righteous.
6 You would shame the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is his refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
God’s praiseworthy attributes found in this text:
- He is in the heavens – v. 2
- He sees all the affairs of men – v. 2
- He desires understanding – vs. 2
- He seeks for those who will seek Him – vs. 2
- He brings terror up the godless – v. 5
- He blesses the generation of the righteous – v. 5
- He is the refuge for the poor – v. 6
- He is the salvation of his people – v. 7
- He restores blessing to his people – v. 7
- He gives joy and gladness – v. 7
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I praise You that You are in heaven and supreme above _____________________.
- Thank You Lord today that You see ____________________.
- Thank You that You seek understanding – and have given me understanding about __________________.
- Lord, You have put it in my heart to seek You because You are _____________________.
- Thank You that in Christ You have made me righteous and blessed me with _____________________.
- I praise You that You were my refuge when ________________________.
- I praise You that You have saved me from __________________________.
- Thank You that You have restored my ____________________________.
Possible prayer prompts:
- I confess that I have been foolish when I have said “no” to You about _______________.
- I surrender my feelings of __________________ when I see the godlessness of this world.
- I confess that I failed to understand Your ways when _____________________.
- I confess that I did not seek You at the time when _______________________.
- I confess that I failed to trust Your goodness and to do good when _________________.
- Lord, today I need understanding as I _______________________.
- Lord, today I am seeking You for _________________________.
- I am trusting You today to be my refuge as I ___________________.
- Lord, I pray that _______________________ (name) will trust You as their refuge as they __________________.
- Lord, today I look to You to restore ____________________.
- Lord, I ask that You would restore _____________________ for ___________________ (name)
- Lord I pray that You would break through the unbelief of ________________________ (name) and cause them to seek You.
- In a world of foolish godlessness, help me to know that You see and will judge ______________________.
- Because you are with the generation of the righteous I will trust you to give me victory over _____________________.
- I will trust you as my refuge when the wicked try to ______________________.
- It will trust you to restore, save and give me joy especially when ______________________.