Prayer Guide: Psalm 21
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
O Lord, in your strength the king rejoices,
and in your salvation how greatly he exults!
2 You have given him his heart’s desire
and have not withheld the request of his lips. Selah
3 For you meet him with rich blessings;
you set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
4 He asked life of you; you gave it to him,
length of days forever and ever.
5 His glory is great through your salvation;
splendor and majesty you bestow on him.
6 For you make him most blessed forever;[a]
you make him glad with the joy of your presence.
7 For the king trusts in the Lord,
and through the steadfast love of the Most High he shall not be moved.
8 Your hand will find out all your enemies;
your right hand will find out those who hate you.
9 You will make them as a blazing oven
when you appear.
The Lord will swallow them up in his wrath,
and fire will consume them.
10 You will destroy their descendants from the earth,
and their offspring from among the children of man.
11 Though they plan evil against you,
though they devise mischief, they will not succeed.
12 For you will put them to flight;
you will aim at their faces with your bows.
13 Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength!
We will sing and praise your power.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- Our strength – v. 1
- Our source of joy – v. 1,6
- Our salvation v. 1
- Knows our hearts – v. 2
- Hears our prayers – v. 2
- The source of blessing and honor – vv. 3, 5, 6
- Gives and sustains life – v. 4
- Worthy of our trust – v. 7
- Steadfast Love – v. 7
- God Most High – v. 7
- Our security – v. 7
- Displays wrath toward His enemies – vv. 8-10
- Protects us from evil – v. 11
- Exalted in strength – v. 13
- God of power – v. 13
Possible Prayer Prompts
- I rejoice that You gave me strength when…
- I praise You that You saved me from…
- Thank You that You heard my requests when…
- I praise You for the rich blessing of…
- Because You have given me life, I have experienced…
- I praise You that You are trustworthy, even when…
- I confess that I have often trusted in my own strength when…
- I confess that I have tried to find joy in ____________ rather than in You.
- I submit my heart’s desire for _____________, trusting that I will embrace Your heart’s desire
- I confess that I often look for significance and security in _____________, rather than in You.
- Help me trust in Your strength, and not my own today as I…
- I pray I will find my joy in You, and not in…
- I pray that Your presence will be the source of joy for ______________ (name) today as they…
- Because You are the Most High God, I will trust You for…
- Help me know the security of Your steadfast love today as I…
- I pray that ____________ (name) will know the security of Your steadfast love as they…
- Even though our spiritual enemies seek to ______________, we trust You to put them to flight.
- Be exalted, O Lord, in Your strength when the enemy seeks to….
- Antiphonal response: We will sing and praise Your power.