Prayer Guide: Psalm 25
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in you I trust;
let me not be put to shame;
let not my enemies exult over me.
3 Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame;
they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
4 Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.
5 Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.
6 Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love,
for they have been from of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
according to your steadfast love remember me,
for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!
8 Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
9 He leads the humble in what is right,
and teaches the humble his way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
11 For your name’s sake, O Lord,
pardon my guilt, for it is great.
12 Who is the man who fears the Lord?
Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose.
13 His soul shall abide in well-being,
and his offspring shall inherit the land.
14 The friendship[b] of the Lord is for those who fear him,
and he makes known to them his covenant.
15 My eyes are ever toward the Lord,
for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged;
bring me out of my distresses.
18 Consider my affliction and my trouble,
and forgive all my sins.
19 Consider how many are my foes,
and with what violent hatred they hate me.
20 Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me!
Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
for I wait for you.
22 Redeem Israel, O God,
out of all his troubles
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- The Sovereign One – v. 1
- Rest for the weary soul – vv. 1-3, 16-20
- A wise Father – v. 4
- Faithful and true – v. 5
- The One who saves us – v. 5
- Merciful – v. 6
- Love – v. 5
- Willing to forgive sinners – v. 7
- Good and upright – vv. 7-8
- One who gives grace to the humble – vv. 9, 12, 14
- Intimate with us in revealing His heart – v. 14
- Mighty to save – vv. 16-20
- Our refuge – v. 20
- Righteous – v. 21
- Our greatest need – v. 21
- Redeemer of His people – v. 22
Possible prayer prompts:
- I praise You that You are sovereign over…
- I praise You that You are able to give rest to my soul even in the midst of…
- Thank You that even now you are working to save me from…
- I praise You for your mercy…
- I praise You for your steadfast love, evidenced in…
- Thank you for being my refuge when…
- Because you are both sovereign and good, I trust you to fulfill your good purposes for me, even in the midst of ____________. (vv. 2, 8)
- I confess that my sins are many (v.7, 11)…
- I confess that my soul at times does not abide in well-being for I fear ___________ more than I fear you (vv.12-13).
- I confess my tendency to be prideful when ___________________. Cleanse and empower me in truth, and give me grace to make this right with others (vv. 9, 12, 14).
- Because you are a wise Father, give me wisdom and guidance for…
- I pray that ___________ will receive the blessing and righteousness of Your salvation from the power of sin by turning to Christ in true faith and worship.
- Teach me to fear you above all so that…
- Because You are sovereign and mighty, I trust You to…
- Forgive me for…
- Help me to extend your mercy, grace and forgiveness to _________.
- As I wait for you, let me not be put to shame in…
- Be my refuge from ___________ today.
- Deliver __________ from the work of the enemy today.