Prayer Guide: Psalm 29
A Psalm of David.
Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings,
ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
2 Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness.
3 The voice of the Lord is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the Lord, over many waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is powerful;
the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
5 The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He makes Lebanon to skip like a calf,
and Sirion like a young wild ox.
7 The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.
8 The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the Lord makes the deer give birth[c]
and strips the forests bare,
and in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
10 The Lord sits enthroned over the flood;
the Lord sits enthroned as king forever.
11 May the Lord give strength to his people!
May the Lord bless his people with peace!
ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- Above all other beings – v. 1
- Awesome in might and power – vv. 1, 4-5
- Transcendent in holiness – v. 2
- Great and greatly to be praised – vv. 1-2
- Creator – vv. 3-4
- Sustainer – vv. 5-9, 11
- Sovereign – vv. 5-11
- Majestic – v. 5
- Awe-inspiring – v. 9
- Eternal, Immortal – v. 10
Possible prayer prompts:
- In light of God’s praiseworthy attributes revealed in this text (listed above), what do you deem to be the glory, the praise due His name? Take a moment and ascribe, voice that to Him now.
- God, I praise you for your awesome might and majesty displayed in _____________.
- Thank you, Lord, for sustaining me when…
- I praise You that You are sovereign over and involved in…
- Father, thank you for counting me among your people, so that I may …
- Take a moment and meditate on the revelation of God’s awesome power revealed in this Psalm and in creation. How do you feel in such moments? How are you prompted to respond when confronted with God’s unspeakable strength? Respond to Him in that way now.
- The revelation of God’s majesty and power demands our humble contrition, our repentance and faith, especially as we see it revealed in the person and work of Jesus Christ. How is He beckoning you to respond in this way today? Voice that to Him.
- God, because you are above all, I surrender ____________ afresh and anew to you today.
- God’s incredible power and transcendent holiness remind us of the wrath that is to come. This is a terrifying thought for the lost. Take a few moments and pray for those you know who are yet reconciled to God.
- Father, nothing is impossible for you! Therefore, I ask you to…
- Lord, please give me strength to continue trusting you to…
- Teach me to fear you above all, so that…
- Lord, please give strength to the relationship between ___________ and ___________ right now, so that…
- Father, please bless ____________ with peace as they face ___________ this week.
- Lord, because your voice makes the deer give birth and strips the forest bare, incline my heart to your word in a greater way, so that …
- Lord, as I wait for you, please give me peace about ____________.
- Father, may your peace reign supreme in the ______________’s home this week.
- God, as I face __________ this week, please grant me strength to fight the good fight of faith, so that …
- Father, grant me to maintain a posture of worship, ascribing you the glory due your name, even in the midst of …