Prayer Guide: Psalm 33
The Steadfast Love of the Lord
Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous!
Praise befits the upright.
2 Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre;
make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!
3 Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
4 For the word of the Lord is upright,
and all his work is done in faithfulness.
5 He loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.
6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap;
he puts the deeps in storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
10 The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing;
he frustrates the plans of the peoples.
11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever,
the plans of his heart to all generations.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!
13 The Lord looks down from heaven;
he sees all the children of man;
14 from where he sits enthroned he looks out
on all the inhabitants of the earth,
15 he who fashions the hearts of them all
and observes all their deeds.
16 The king is not saved by his great army;
a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
17 The war horse is a false hope for salvation,
and by its great might it cannot rescue.
18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him,
on those who hope in his steadfast love,
19 that he may deliver their soul from death
and keep them alive in famine.
20 Our soul waits for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
21 For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
22 Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
even as we hope in you.
ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes
- Inspires/is worthy of our shouts of joy – vv. 1,3
- Imputes righteousness and uprightness – v. 1
- Worthy of praise – v. 1
- Worthy of thanksgiving – v. 2
- Inspires songs – v. 3
- Imparts skill- v. 3
- His word is upright – v. 3
- Faithful – v. 4
- Lover of righteousness and justice – v. 5
- Steadfast love – vv. 5,18,22
- Creator of all things – vv. 6, 9
- Superintends His creation – v. 7, 9
- To be feared – v. 8
- Awesome – v. 8
- Rules over the nations – v. 10
- Imparts his counsel/plans – v. 11
- Eternal – v. 11
- Source of blessing – v. 12
- Sovereign in His choosing – v. 12
- Rules/enthroned in heaven – vv. 14,15
- All seeing/knowing – vv. 13-15
- Fashions every heart – v. 15
- The only hope for salvation – vv. 16-17
- Attends to those who fear him – v. 18
- Our hope – vv. 18,22
- Our deliverer – v. 19
- Our sustainer – v. 19
- Our help – v. 20
- Our shield – v. 20
- Source of gladness – v. 21
- Trustworthy – v. 21
- Holy – v. 21
Possible prayer prompts:
- We shout to You Lord because ________________ (various attributes and works).
- Antiphonal response: Give thanks to the Lord!
- Thank You that Your upright word teaches me that…
- Thank You that You have always been faithful, especially when…
- We stand in awe of You because…
- Thank You that Your word helps me stand firm when…
- I praise You Lord for the assurance that You see me, especially when…
- We praise You that Your love is steadfast, even when…
- I praise You that You were my help and shield when…
- Lord, realizing all Your work is done in faithfulness, I confess I have been unfaithful in…
- Father, because I know You love righteousness, I confess that I have not acted righteously when…
- Lord, because You love justice, I admit before You that I have too often been unfair and mistreated_____________(name) .
- Father, I confess that I have too often trusted in ____________ to meet my need, rather than Your steadfast love.
- Because You are the creator and sustainer of the universe, I know I can trust You for…
- Lord, I pray that You will frustrate the plans of _______________ (specific wicked strategies, ungodly efforts) as they seek to….
- Lord, I need Your counsel right now as I…
- Lord, give Your counsel to our church leaders as they…
- Lord, I pray You will show the plans of Your heart to _______________ (name) as they…
- Lord, I need You to again fashion my heart, so that I will…
- Help me to place my hope in Your steadfast love I a navigate my relationship with ______________ (name).
- I pray for ________________ (name) that You will deliver them from …
- Because Your name is _______________, I will trust You for…
- Lord, I will trust You – and not my own strength, as I face the challenge of…
- Lord, we will wait on You, even when…
- Antiphonal response: Our help and our shield!
- We will hope in Your steadfast love, especially when we face_______________________ (specific trials, temptations, attacks).
- Antiphonal response: We hope in You!