Prayer Guide: Psalm 34
Of David, when he changed his behavior before Abimelech, so that he drove him out, and he went away.
I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the humble hear and be glad.
3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt his name together!
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, O children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 What man is there who desires life
and loves many days, that he may see good?
13 Keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from speaking deceit.
14 Turn away from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous
and his ears toward their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
17 When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit.
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
20 He keeps all his bones;
not one of them is broken.
21 Affliction will slay the wicked,
and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- Worthy of blessing – always! – v. 1
- Worthy of praise – continually! – v. 1
- Worthy of our boasting! – v. 2
- Our source of gladness – v. 2
- Worthy to be magnified and exalted – v. 3
- Answers/hears our prayers – v. 4, 6,15,17
- Delivers from all fear – v. 4
- Makes us radiant and free from shame – v. 5
- Saves/delivers us out of trouble/affliction – v. 6,17,19,20,22
- Protects and delivers – v. 7
- To be feared – v. 7,9,11
- Good – v. 8, 12
- Refuge – v. 8
- Provides all good things – v. 9,10
- Guards our tongue/lips – v. 13
- Source of peace – v. 14
- Attends to the righteous/makes us righteous – v. 15
- Judges evil – v. 16, 21, 22
- Ministers to the brokenhearted/crushed – v. 18
- Delivers from condemnation – v. 22
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- I will bless/praise You Lord even when…
- I boast in You Lord because You are…
- We exalt Your name together because Your name is…
- I praise You Lord because You have delivered me from the fear of…
- I praise You Lord because You delivered me from trouble when…
- Lord, I thank You that I tasted of Your goodness when…
- Lord, I fear/reverence You because You…
- I confess that my lips have recently spoken evil when I ______________. Cleanse and restore me Lord.
- I confess my temptation to act deceitfully especially when…
- I confess my need to seek and pursue peace in my relationship with ______________ (name). Help me obey you in seeking reconciliation with them today.
- Help me to sincerely bless You Lord today, even when…
- Because You encamp around me, I pray that You will deliver me from…
- Because You encamp around us, I pray that You will deliver __________________ (name) from…
- Give me the conviction and power to speak truthfully this week as I…
- Give me grace to seek and pursue peace this week as I…
- Because You are good, I seek You for refuge today from…
- I pray that _________ (name) will sense Your nearness today as they are brokenhearted over…
- Lord, I am trusting You today to deliver me from…
- Lord, today, I will trust You to condemn unrighteousness in the culture, specifically ______________, as I take refuge in You.
- Lord, give me grace to rise above any temptation to speak evil or deceit, especially when…