Prayer Guide: Psalm 36
Psalm 36 (ESV)
To the choirmaster. Of David, the servant of the Lord.
Transgression speaks to the wicked
deep in his heart;
there is no fear of God
before his eyes.
2 For he flatters himself in his own eyes
that his iniquity cannot be found out and hated.
3 The words of his mouth are trouble and deceit;
he has ceased to act wisely and do good.
4 He plots trouble while on his bed;
he sets himself in a way that is not good;
he does not reject evil.
5 Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.
6 Your righteousness is like the mountains of God;
your judgments are like the great deep;
man and beast you save, O Lord.
7 How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house,
and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light do we see light.
10 Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you,
and your righteousness to the upright of heart!
11 Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me,
nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 There the evildoers lie fallen;
they are thrust down, unable to rise.
ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s praiseworthy attributes:
- Abundant in love and faithfulness (vs. 5)
- Great in righteousness and justice (vs. 6)
- He preserves us (vs. 6)
- He preserves animals (vs. 6)
- Unfailing love that is worth more than everything (vs. 7)
- refugefor all (vs. 7)
- God of abundance (vs. 8)
- offers us to drink from His river of delights (vs. 8)
- fountain of life (vs. 9)
- light enabling us to see (vs. 9)
- loves those who know Him (vs. 10)
- displays His righteousness for those who are upright in heart (vs. 10)
Possible prayer prompts:
- O LORD, I worship you today because you are ____________.
- O LORD, your unfailing love and faithfulness is like ___________ to my soul.
- O LORD, you showed me your great and unfailing love when _____________.
- O LORD, I confess that I have prized __________ more than your priceless, unfailing love.
- Because of your unfailing love, O LORD, I will/surrender ______________________.
- O LORD, even though _______________, I will trust that you love me and will preserve me.
- O LORD, please show you abundant, unfailing love to ______________.
- O LORD, please let _______________ know your faithfulness as he/she ______________.
- O LORD, continue to show your love and righteousness to ________________.
- O LORD, as we engage in spiritual battles today we look forward to how you will display your ___________ for those who know you and love you.
- O LORD, may those against you not be able to stop us from glorifying you.