Prayer Guide: Psalm 44
To the choirmaster. A Maskil of the Sons of Korah.
O God, we have heard with our ears,
our fathers have told us,
what deeds you performed in their days,
in the days of old:
2 you with your own hand drove out the nations,
but them you planted;
you afflicted the peoples,
but them you set free;
3 for not by their own sword did they win the land,
nor did their own arm save them,
but your right hand and your arm,
and the light of your face,
for you delighted in them.
4 You are my King, O God;
ordain salvation for Jacob!
5 Through you we push down our foes;
through your name we tread down those who rise up against us.
6 For not in my bow do I trust,
nor can my sword save me.
7 But you have saved us from our foes
and have put to shame those who hate us.
8 In God we have boasted continually,
and we will give thanks to your name forever. Selah
9 But you have rejected us and disgraced us
and have not gone out with our armies.
10 You have made us turn back from the foe,
and those who hate us have gotten spoil.
11 You have made us like sheep for slaughter
and have scattered us among the nations.
12 You have sold your people for a trifle,
demanding no high price for them.
13 You have made us the taunt of our neighbors,
the derision and scorn of those around us.
14 You have made us a byword among the nations,
a laughingstock among the peoples.
15 All day long my disgrace is before me,
and shame has covered my face
16 at the sound of the taunter and reviler,
at the sight of the enemy and the avenger.
17 All this has come upon us,
though we have not forgotten you,
and we have not been false to your covenant.
18 Our heart has not turned back,
nor have our steps departed from your way;
19 yet you have broken us in the place of jackals
and covered us with the shadow of death.
20 If we had forgotten the name of our God
or spread out our hands to a foreign god,
21 would not God discover this?
For he knows the secrets of the heart.
22 Yet for your sake we are killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.
23 Awake! Why are you sleeping, O Lord?
Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever!
24 Why do you hide your face?
Why do you forget our affliction and oppression?
25 For our soul is bowed down to the dust;
our belly clings to the ground.
26 Rise up; come to our help!
Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love!
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- I will praise you for you are the God from ancient times.
- You are worthy of all our praises because you have always performed mighty deeds for your children.
- I acknowledge your greatness because, Lord, you have constantly preparing provision for your people.
- Lord I offer thanksgiving offering to you because you have always been there are your people.
- Lord you are worthy of all praises because you are omnipotent.
- God you are King, and you command victories for your people.
Possible Prayer Prompters:
- I will praise you Lord for you have been faithful to us in the days ____________ (v. 1).
- Lord I thank you that it was not in my strength nor my forefather’s strength that you delivered us from _________, but it was your right arm that delivered us (v. 3).
- Lord I praise you for the light of Your countenance and your favor covers me when _____________ (v. 3).
Psalm 44: 5-10
- Father forgive me when I am tempted to trust in my ______________(v. 6).
- I asked you to forgive me, Lord, when I seek to take the glory, after you have ________ (v. 8).
- Lord I am sorry for failing to praise your name when you _______________ (v. 8).
- God, because I sinned_____________________, you were not with me when __________ (v. 9).
- I have lost _________________________ because of my ______________, forgive me and restore me (v. 10).
Psalm 44: 11-21
- Lord when we have wondered away from your precepts, like sheep, please do not ________ (v. 11).
- Father, I pray that you will not make us a _________ and reject us because of our stubborn will (v. 13).
- Please help me to always remember you and cherish your commandments even when _________ (v. 17).
- If I forget you or your ways and turn to _______________ forgive me and restore me (v. 20).
Psalm 44: 22-26
- Father, I pray that I will be willing to serve you even when __________ (v. 22).
- Lord help me to never experience your ____________ (v. 23).
- Lord I am ready to declare your righteousness because I don’t want to be ________ (v 24).
- Lord even when I find myself outside of your will may I be willing to seek ________ (vv. 25-26).