Prayer Guide: Psalm 47
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.
Clap your hands, all peoples!
Shout to God with loud songs of joy!
2 For the Lord, the Most High, is to be feared,
a great king over all the earth.
3 He subdued peoples under us,
and nations under our feet.
4 He chose our heritage for us,
the pride of Jacob whom he loves. Selah
5 God has gone up with a shout,
the Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
6 Sing praises to God, sing praises!
Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
7 For God is the King of all the earth;
sing praises with a psalm!
8 God reigns over the nations;
God sits on his holy throne.
9 The princes of the peoples gather
as the people of the God of Abraham.
For the shields of the earth belong to God;
he is highly exalted!
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- Worthy of praise – vv. 1, 6, 7
- Worthy of reverential awe, worship – v. 2
- He is Sovereign, the Most High – v. 2, 8
- He is King, Ruler over ALL – vv. 2, 7, 8
- Awesome in power – v. 3
- He fights our battles for us – v.3
- He’s the author of salvation history – v. 4
- He loves his people – v. 4
- Faithful to his covenant – v. 9
- He is a God of blessing – v. 9
- Keeper of His promises – v. 9
- Father of a diverse, new creation people formed from all the nations, races, tribes of the earth – v. 9
- Highly exalted, glorious, honorable – v. 9
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- God, I shout to you with joy today, because…
- I will praise You Lord even when…
- We highly exalt You together because you are…
- I praise You Lord because of your faithfulness to me when…
- I praise You Lord for keeping your word to me even when…
- Lord, I rejoice that you are on your holy throne because…
- Lord, I am in awe of You because You…
- God, you truly are the King of Kings. Therefore, it is right that I surrender ___________ to you today.
- I confess my inclination to exalt myself, instead of you, when I ____________.
- I confess at times I don’t trust you as I ought. Help me to trust you with ____________ today.
- Help me to sincerely praise You Lord today, even when…
- Help me to worship you in my __________.
- Because You fight our battles for us, I pray that You will deliver me from _______________.
- Because You fight our battles for us, I pray that You will deliver _______________ (name) from…
- Give me a heart to fear you this week as I…
- Give me grace to sing to you this week as I…
- Because You love your people, I seek Your care for _________ today.
- I pray that _________ (name) will know your power and sovereignty today as they wait on you for _____________.
- Lord, I am trusting You today to fight for…
- Lord, today, I will trust You to rule over …
- Lord, today, when I am tempted to build my own kingdom, help me instead to worship and wait on you for …
- Lord, help me to hope in the promise of the New Creation, when I am tempted to despair of …