Prayer Guide: Psalm 49
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.
Hear this, all peoples!
Give ear, all inhabitants of the world,
2 both low and high,
rich and poor together!
3 My mouth shall speak wisdom;
the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.
4 I will incline my ear to a proverb;
I will solve my riddle to the music of the lyre.
5 Why should I fear in times of trouble,
when the iniquity of those who cheat me surrounds me,
6 those who trust in their wealth
and boast of the abundance of their riches?
7 Truly no man can ransom another,
or give to God the price of his life,
8 for the ransom of their life is costly
and can never suffice,
9 that he should live on forever
and never see the pit.
10 For he sees that even the wise die;
the fool and the stupid alike must perish
and leave their wealth to others.
11 Their graves are their homes forever,
their dwelling places to all generations,
though they called lands by their own names.
12 Man in his pomp will not remain;
he is like the beasts that perish.
13 This is the path of those who have foolish confidence;
yet after them people approve of their boasts.[b] Selah
14 Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol;
death shall be their shepherd,
and the upright shall rule over them in the morning.
Their form shall be consumed in Sheol, with no place to dwell.
15 But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol,
for he will receive me. Selah
16 Be not afraid when a man becomes rich,
when the glory of his house increases.
17 For when he dies he will carry nothing away;
his glory will not go down after him.
18 For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed
—and though you get praise when you do well for yourself—
19 his soul will go to the generation of his fathers,
who will never again see light.
20 Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.
God’s Praiseworthy Attributes:
- God’s message is for all peoples, regardless of their position in this world – v1,2
- Gives wisdom and understanding to man – v3
- His people need not fear in times of trouble v5
- Does not require a ransom paid by us for our own lives v7-9
- God ransoms our soul from the power of death – v15
- Receives his people in the resurrection – v15
Possible Prayer Prompts:
- Lord I praise You that…
- Lord, I thank-you that even though I may not have……in this world, You still…
- Lord, I worship You because even though I at times I fear……….I know in You I need not fear.
- Lord, I confess that at times I am fearful of…….
- Lord, I confess that I often do look to………..instead of trusting in You
- Lord, help me to see that apart from you my life is headed towards….
- Lord, please give me wisdom and understanding in the area of……………for your glory
- Lord, help me to speak to others about the things that matter most….
- Lord, help me to be a witness to others regarding eternity that is coming…
- Lord, I ask that in the area of…………….you will supply all my needs
- Lord, help me not to be anxious about…………..as I……………..
- Lord, today I will seek first your kingdom and your righteousness as I…..
- Lord, today I will trust in you even as I may be opposed in…….
- Lord, help me now as I…………..to do it for the glory of God!