Prayer Guide: Psalm 5
To the choirmaster: for the flutes. A Psalm of David.
Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
2 Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you do I pray.
3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you[a] and watch.
4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil may not dwell with you.
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
7 But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
in the fear of you.
8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me.
9 For there is no truth in their mouth;
their inmost self is destruction;
their throat is an open grave;
they flatter with their tongue.
10 Make them bear their guilt, O God;
let them fall by their own counsels;
because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you.
11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may exult in you.
12 For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover him with favor as with a shield.
God’s praiseworthy attributes displayed in this text:
- Gives ear to our prayers – v. 1
- Considers our groanings/laments – vs. 1
- Attends to our cries for help – v. 2
- He is King – v. 2
- He is the God to whom men pray – v. 2
- He meets us morning by morning – v. 3
- He is worthy of our sacrifice – v. 3
- He is holy and pure – v. 4
- He resists the proud and evil heart – v.5
- He judges lies and deception – v. 6
- His is abundant in steadfast love – v. 7
- He invites us into intimacy with Himself – v. 7
- He is holy and to be feared – v. 7
- He leads us – v. 8
- He is righteous – v. 8
- He directs us in the midst of battle – v. 8
- He judges transgressors and rebels – vv.9-10
- He is our refuge – v. 11
- He is a God of joy – v. 11
- He protects His people – v. 11
- He (his name) is worthy of our love – v. 11
- He is worthy of exaltation – v. 11
- He blesses the righteous – v. 12
- He covers us with favor – v. 12
- He is our shield – v. 12
Possible prayer prompters:
- I praise You Lord that You heard my cry for help when ___________________.
- Because You are King, I know that You can ___________________.
- Thank you that I have experienced Your steadfast love, drawing me to You when _________________.
- I love Your name and exult in You because Your name is _________________.
- Holy One, I bow down before You in fear because you are ____________________ .
- Lord, You know that right now my groanings and cries are the result of ____________________. I come in full surrender, giving these things to You.
- Because You do not delight in wickedness, I confess ______________________.
- Because You are my King and my God, I trust You today for _____________________.
- Because of the spiritual battle I face, I am trusting in You to lead me as I ___________________.
- I ask for Your joy as I trust in You to be my refuge when ______________________.
- Because _____________________ (name) loves Your name, spread Your protection over them as they __________________________.
- Lord, may Your favor be my shield today as I encounter __________________________________ (area of spiritual battle).
- Lord, I pray Your favor will be a shield for _____________________ (name) as he/she encounters ______________________ (area of spiritual battle).