Prayer Guide: Psalm 50
A Psalm of Asaph.
The Mighty One, God the Lord,
speaks and summons the earth
from the rising of the sun to its setting.
2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty,
God shines forth.
3 Our God comes; he does not keep silence;[a]
before him is a devouring fire,
around him a mighty tempest.
4 He calls to the heavens above
and to the earth, that he may judge his people:
5 “Gather to me my faithful ones,
who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!”
6 The heavens declare his righteousness,
for God himself is judge! Selah
7 “Hear, O my people, and I will speak;
O Israel, I will testify against you.
I am God, your God.
8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;
your burnt offerings are continually before me.
9 I will not accept a bull from your house
or goats from your folds.
10 For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.
12 “If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
for the world and its fullness are mine.
13 Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
14 Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,[b]
and perform your vows to the Most High,
15 and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
16 But to the wicked God says:
“What right have you to recite my statutes
or take my covenant on your lips?
17 For you hate discipline,
and you cast my words behind you.
18 If you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
and you keep company with adulterers.
19 “You give your mouth free rein for evil,
and your tongue frames deceit.
20 You sit and speak against your brother;
you slander your own mother’s son.
21 These things you have done, and I have been silent;
you thought that I[c] was one like yourself.
But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.
22 “Mark this, then, you who forget God,
lest I tear you apart, and there be none to deliver!
23 The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me;
to one who orders his way rightly
I will show the salvation of God!”
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
- I praise you because you showed yourself to be The Mighty One when ________ (v. 1)
- I praise you for how the beauty of Jesus loves shine through when________ (v.2).
- I praise you for speaking and not being silent when ________ (v. 1, 3).
- I praise you for delivering me from _________when I cried unto you (v. 15)
- I thank you Lord for in the most trying time of my life when __________, you ___________ (v.23)
- I confess that I used my tongue to ______and as a result ________ (v.19-20).
- I submit to the loving discipline you are administering so that ___________ (v. 16-18).
- *Antiphonal response: You are a good, good father, perfect in all of your ways.
- In these troubled times deliver ________ from ________ so that ___________ (v. 15).
- Regarding _________ order my steps so that ___________ (v. 23).
- Let the beauty of your ______ shine through me especially when ________.
- *Antiphonal response: Glorify thy name in my life.