Prayer Guide: Psalm 53
To the choirmaster: according to Mahalath. A Maskil of David.
Psalm 53 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;
there is none who does good.
2 God looks down from heaven
on the children of man
to see if there are any who understand,
who seek after God.
3 They have all fallen away;
together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good,
not even one.
4 Have those who work evil no knowledge,
who eat up my people as they eat bread,
and do not call upon God?
5 There they are, in great terror,
where there is no terror!
For God scatters the bones of him who encamps against you;
you put them to shame, for God has rejected them.
6 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When God restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
PSALM 53 – GUIDE
Identify and celebrate God’s praiseworthy attributes
- God sees all and seeks those who will seek Him – vv.1–2
- He judges those who knowingly reject Him – vv.3–5
- He is the God of salvation to His people – v.6
- He restores and give us joy and gladness – v.7
- I praise You that by grace You have called me to seek You. Today, I seek You because You are …
- You are the God of my salvation and have saved me from …
- I praise You because You have restored …
- Thank You for giving me supernatural joy and gladness, even when …
Surrender to Him and His ways
- I confess that I have been foolish when I have said “no” to You about …
- I confess that I, too, have failed to understand Your ways when …
- I confess that I try to be “good” in my own strength when …
Ask the Spirit to guide your prayer over concerns, resources, and relationships
- Today I am seeking You and I need understanding about …
- I pray for (name) who has rejected Your truth. Use me to show them the joy of Your salvation.
- Lord, today, I am trusting You to restore …
Encouragement and strength for spiritual battle
- Even though I am surrounded by the evils of … give me an unquenchable passion to seek You.
- I will trust you to give me joy and gladness even when …
- Memorize and meditate on v.2.
* This prayer guide is an excerpt from Strategic Renewal’s publication, Praying the Psalms.