Prayers A Father Should Pray For HIs Son
The book of the Bible most dedicated to the teaching of wisdom is Proverbs. The thoughts, collections and sayings of Solomon, arguably the wisest man in history, are offered in Proverbs for all who would seek to live wisely. I find it very interesting, almost ironic, that the book of the Bible most dedicated to the propagation of wisdom begins with several chapters warning of the folly of sexual sin. I find it even more intriguing that these warnings are offered by the son of a known adulterer.
Solomon grew up in a household that formed as the result of sexual sin. Murder, conspiracy, lies, the death of an innocent child, and decades of war and extreme family conflict followed David throughout his life as a result of his adulterous actions. Solomon, having witnessed firsthand the devastation that such behavior brings, committed the first portion of his wisdom collection to teaching young men about the need for sexual purity.
Listen to his words:
- Proverbs 2:16-19, (Wisdom) will save you also from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words, who has left the partner of her youth and ignored the covenant she made before God. For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead. None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.
- Proverbs 5:3-5, For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil; but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.
- Proverbs 5:15, Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well.
- Proverbs 5:18-19, May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer– may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
- Proverbs 5:20, Why be captivated, my son, by an adulteress? Why embrace the bosom of another man’s wife?
- Proverbs 6:29, So is he who sleeps with another man’s wife; no one who touches her will go unpunished.
- Proverbs 6:32, But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself.
I could list several others.
Do you hear the passion in Solomon’s pleas? Can you feel the pain of lessons hard-learned in his instructions? Aren’t you glad the Holy Spirit led Solomon to include those teachings in Proverbs? Solomon has set a great example for us, and we would do well to be equally diligent in teaching our own sons about the sexual high road. Your diligence in teaching and praying for your son can be fueled by the knowledge that even though Solomon knew these lessons and taught them, he ultimately didn’t listen to them. Solomon ended up losing his kingdom because he rejected his own counsel.
Don’t hide these verses in Proverbs from your son. Read them to him, talk to him about them, and pray them over him.
- Pray that your son will be sexually pure until he’s married.
- Pray that he will be afraid of sexual sin and that he will quickly run from it.
- Pray that he will respect women and always treat them with the same love and dignity that Jesus did.
- Pray that he will have friends and date girls who are equally committed to their own sexual purity.
- Pray that he will be repulsed when exposed to pornographic images.
- Pray that he will be immediately caught if he ever begins to practice any form of sexual sin.
©2013 Will Davis Jr. Originally posted on WDJ’s blog on Feb 20, 2013. Adapted from Will’s book, Pray Big for Your Child