This prayer guide, inspired by the chapter titled Priorities in Strategic Renewal’s resource 21 Days of Prayer for Your Church Leader, is focused on seeking God’s face through the following passage.
6 Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them. 7 And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers
Priorities Prayer Guide
Identify and celebrate God’s praiseworthy attributes
- The Lord is the one who brings supernatural growth and impact (vv. 1, 7)
- God cares and provides for the needs of His people (vv. 1-3)
- The Spirit supplies the right people and gifts to serve and edify the church (vv. 3-4)
- He is a God of unity and harmony (v. 5)
- He is worthy of our obedience and allegiance (vv. 4, 7)
- God I thank You that when leaders prioritize prayer and the ministry of the word, then…
- Jesus, thank You for…(name church leader(s)) and how they have served us by…
- Lord, we praise You that You can bring supernatural growth and impact even when…
Surrender to Him and His ways
- I confess that I tend to complain about…and help me have a new resolve to serve with wisdom so that unity can be preserved.
- God we admit our diluted priorities in…and may we have a fresh devotion to the things You say matter most.
Ask the Spirit to guide prayer over concerns, resources, and relationships
- Jesus, raise up church leaders who are devoted to prayer and the ministry of the word at…(name specific church) so that…
- Lord, may disciples of godly character, full of the Spirit and wisdom be developed in… in order that…
- Lord, we lay our hands upon…and commission them unto Your service in…
- Jesus, cause…(name those far from the Lord) to become obedient to the faith.
Encouragement and strength for spiritual battle
- Lord, may Your word increase and disciples greatly multiply even as we face…